Monday, November 5, 2012

MY LAST EMAIL!!


Family,

Hello! I guess this will probably be my last e-mail, that is weird to imagine!

That will be fun to have so many freshly returned missionaries so close together! I am excited to see many great friends but One thing I would like for sure is to have some "Just family time" that night at the house.

Well this last week had been good, we have really made some strides in setting ourselves up for success. We did teach Laura and she is doing well. She will be baptized on the 17th, so I will miss the ordinance. I actually haven't been to the lessons that we have had with her because its just hard having 3 missionaries, another guy she doesn't know and her best friend sitting down to teach her, so I have gone out and visited other people while Elder Morrill and Elder Forbush have taught her.

I want to share with you a principle that I have learned a lot about recently. I have been pondering and applying Obedience in my life more diligently. Honestly I feel ashamed to say this, but I have learned a lot about obedience in my mission and I feel like I get it now, which i know is pretty bad timing. It all started a few months ago when Grandma Workman wrote me a letter reminding me of something that Grandpa told me before I left. He essentially said "you know your on the right track when you are looking for more rules/commandments to obey", instead of looking for ones that you don't have to obey. That is so True! Someone who lives that way would be someone who lives the doctrine of Christ and thus will be filled with the peace, joy and love that comes through the Holy Ghost. Matt 5:48 is a great scripture; in my own scriptures I added some words so that it read like this; "be ye therefore perfect(ly obedient), even as I, or your Father who is in Heaven is perfect(ly obedient)". God says that his "Honor" is his where he gets his power from, because he cannot lie or disobey, he wont do it. To access the atonement we must repent, that is the only way to be cleansed of sin. What we are repenting of is disobedience from Gods commandments. When we exercise faith, we are becoming more obedient. When we make covenants with God, it is a solemn commitment to be obedient to him. Thus the 2nd article of faith "we believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved by obedience to laws and ordinances of The Gospel". As we obey we are promised the companionship of the Holy Ghost, which cleanses us and brings us peace and joy beyond anything we could create on our own. So in essence obedience is the Key to happiness and power! Pretty pathetic that it took me so long to figure that out, but I'm sure glad I did. And I have seen, what I just described actually happen! We should all, each day, look for opportunities to follow Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father more closely. Feeling the spirit in scripture study, prayer and church activity/service is the key to keeping ourselves "on the right path". The Gospel is true and I cant wait to see you all in just 10 days, wow I cant believe this journey is so close to being over. This has been the best two years for my life. I would not be true if I did not thank you, my family, for setting such a great example when I was lost! The Lord opened my eyes, through your examples (ALL OF YOU!), so that I could see his plan for my life. I am eternally indebted to you for this experience and the blessings that will flow from it forever. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I Love you all!! See you soon.




Elder Jeffery Dan Hendrix

No comments:

Post a Comment