Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Back at the Office


Family,                                                                                                                        April 10, 2012
  So I’m back with Fisher and Hansen. I enjoyed serving with Montiel, he will always be a good friend.  Quick funny story from this week, Dad will be proud. so the missionaries Montiel and I lived with like to go fishing on p-day. Well, I found a cup of "DMF" worms in the fridge, so I counseled these young men on buying quality worms and advised them to not support the "DMF" company. So I threw the worms out and made a deal with the elder who bought them, he wanted 2 cups of meal worms, so dad will you send me two cups of Meal worms, Thanks.  So not really much happened this week. We were able to teach the family I was telling you about, with the 3 young boys. We had some great lessons with them. I was worried that they would have a tough time being really interested in the lessons, so I prayed pretty hard that I would be able to have the spirit so that they would enjoy and find an interest in learning about the restoration of the gospel, because they really dont have much knowledge about the gospel. Well we went into the lesson and it just went so well. I felt inspired by the spirit, and though the spirit wasn’t like overwhelmingly powerful there was a noticeable spirit of peace and understanding with us. And they started asking great questions and even when I taught them about the fall of the Church of Christ and the eventual apostasy and building up of all of the different churches, they said "they don’t have the authority" and I was blown away because adults don’t usually pick up on that one.  Anyway, they really understood everything and it was so fun to teach them. Then we had another lesson the next day and it went just the same. The lord is merciful to those who seek him earnestly. This past Easter weekend I was touched as I thought about and was taught about the Atonement of Christ and his resurrection.  I was very touched by President Uchtorf's declaration in Priesthood session, that "The Father and The Son are real, they are really there". I felt the spirit testify to me that what he said was true, and that is the Easter season message. I had a great opportunity to study the Atonement for a couple hours yesterday, and discuss it with Elder Hansen, followed up by a great sacrament meeting. My thoughts turned to the suffering of the savior, and his perfect example of doing the will of the Father always! I feel strongly about, and grateful for the restored gospel's atonement teachings. One that Christ, though he was a God, had a life experience just like ours. He had to overcome physical, mental and spiritual challenges. He had to learn, "grace for grace" and he "increased in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man". I was reading Isaiah 53 yesterday. It is a beautiful chapter about life long suffering that he went through. "he was despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows acquainted with grief...the chastisement of our peace was upon him and with his stripes we are healed... by his knowledge he shall justify many.." We learn that because of his suffering the Father "shall be satisfied...because he hath poured out his soul unto death."  Christ did not ever fall into his temptations, but he was pushed to his limit just as we are. Because of his experience, he knows how to lift us up (Alma 7:11-13). He gave everything and so we are expected to also. Our obligation is to act in faith, repent of our sins, and transgressions, be baptized (or partake of the sacrament, serve others and always remember him), receive and follow the spirits promptings, and to endure to the end in following the example of the savior. Why would we not be expected to do all that we can possibly do, when we truly understand his atonement how could we not? The gospel is true and it changes lives. Thank you all for being examples to me of what it means to be Christ like. Mom and Dad thanks for being true followers of Jesus Christ, Yall are the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment